Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Friday, October 4, 2013

A Bride for the Maverick Millionaire (Journey Through the Outback #2) by Marion Lennox


A Bride for the Maverick Millionaire (Journey Through the Outback #2)
 
Summary:
 
Rachel Cotton has high hopes for her cruise through the beautiful Kimberley region—surely this will be the perfect chance to forget her past and enjoy some much-needed rest and relaxation? But gorgeous shipmate Finn Kinnard seems much more interested in stirring her up!

Finn might make Rachel feel all woman, but he also warns her that romantically he can't be relied on. But when a high-octane adventure puts this claim to the test, Rachel discovers there's much more to Finn than meets the eye—and that he might be just the man to entrust her fragile heart to...
Summary & Cover taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 192 pages (Paperback)
Available Formats: Print/E-book
Publication Date: January 2nd 2013 by Harlequin
 
I've been on a bit of a romance reading spree the last couple of weeks and A Bride for the Maverick Millionaire just happened to be the next one up on my pile of library books when I read it the other day.
 
I used to love the Harlequin Romance line, but over the last few years I've had a lot of misses when it comes to this line to the point that I might only read one or two of the titles a year. To be completely honest the only reason I really borrowed this book is because I saw that it was set in Australia and I just love romances set there.
 
While I went into this one with very low expectations, I was still dismayed to find that the book wasn't even mediocre. I finished reading it, but after the first 25% of it I found myself starting to lag and had to force myself to read what had the promise of being a cute, flirty and fun read. Unfortunately, while there was potential I just felt that the story fell way short of where it could have been.
 
I thought the plot was entirely too fragmented and rushed for my tastes. Now I know this line isn't going to offer me extremely compelling plots with amazingly created characters but it would have been nice if the story did not jump all over the place, switch pace so often I felt like I was in a car with a teenage driver learning how to put the car in gear.
 
The story focused around Rachel and Finn both dealing with issues relating to their pasts and I really did like Rachel, she was smart, funny and dealing with the loss of her baby as well as dealing the trauma of an uncaring husband. Finn's trauma isn't even trauma it's just Finn over thinking things and being a bit of a whiner in my opinion I just didn't see why Rachel fell for him. He was just so closed off it annoyed me.
 
The plot though is what really killed the book for me. It jumped around so much I just didn't like how it was laid out. It could have been pulled off so much better but then again this is the reason that I go into reading books from this line with low expectations.
 
The shame is that this was my first foray into this particular author's writing and I just found this romance to be lacking in chemistry, clear plot and poorly written characters. However, just because I didn't like this one, if I have the opportunity to read another of her books I will with the hopes that I'll enjoy it more.
 
This was definitely a case of this not being a book for me but I would recommend it to fans of the particular Harlequin imprint, fans of sweet romances and ones with a hint of adventure.
 
 
I read this book for the following reading challenges:
 
2013 150+ Reading Challenge

 Not For Me!
 
 
To purchase the book via Chapters Indigo CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Amazon CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Kobo CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via The Book Depository CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Barnes & Noble CLICK HERE



 

5 comments:

  1. You did a good job of pointing out the things you did like as well as what didn't work for you. I have to admit that while I love romances, I hate those formula titles, especially if they have "millionaire" or "billionaire" in the title. And it sounds like this particular romance is also pretty formulaic and not well-written enough to rise above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was which is a shame. I looked for another of the author's books today at the library because I saw one there when I borrowed this one, but it was borrowed. I'm not a fan of books with the word millionaire or billionare in the title either (should've added that to this week's Top 10 Tuesday Post). Thanks for coming by Lark :)

      Delete
  2. Oh that's too bad Kimberly. It doesn't sound like it would be one for me either. Never fun when you get to the point of actually having to make yourself sit down and read. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post to readfrom this source SourceGet More Information useful referencehis comment is here

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!